The music program at Saint Paul's has a reputation for excellence throughout the Episcopal Church and within the greater Cleveland community. Our musicians and instruments beautify our worship and lead us in congregational singing. Lear more about our instruments below.
The chancel organ, built by Walter Holtkamp, Sr. of Cleveland is the mainstay of our worship services. It was installed in 1952 under the direction of Walter Blodgett, a longtime organist-choirmaster at St. Paul's and music curator at the Cleveland Museum of Art.Read More »
The gallery organ of St. Paul's was built in 1985.Its design was a collaborative effort by Karel Paukert and the internationally renowned Austrian organ builder, Gerhard Hradetzky. This generous gift to the church by one of its parishioners provides a unique contrast to the large chancel organ. Placed in the rear gallery, this organ, for its size, incorporates a generous variety …Read More »
The most recent organ acquisition at St. Paul's is a gift to the church from Carol Tillinghast Forbes and her family. The organ was built by Vladimir Slajch of the Czech Republic where he is a noted restorer of baroque instruments, and an independent organ builder. It utilizes mechanical-action and has five ranks: two wood and three metal ranks. The late-rococo-style case feature…Read More »
The carillon at St. Paul's was installed in 1929 in the 165-foot tower given "to the Glory of the Triune God" by Laura Price Briggs in memory of her brother, William Albert Price. Although Mrs. Briggs herself did not give the bells for the carillon, her gift must have had the intention of supporting a carillon, otherwise it would not have been constructed with so large a bell cha…Read More »
Given in loving memory of James B. Naylor (June 10, 1987-October 9, 2003), the Italian harpsichord was built in 2005 by Matthias Griewisch, Bammental, Germany. This elegant instrument, with a false inner-outer (built in one case), is based on Italian models, particularly on the harpsichords of Giovanni Ferrini, a pupil of Bartolomeo Cristofori, who was given the credit for invent…Read More »